Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Birthdays and Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch

Yesterday was my birthday. I turned the big 2-5, which seems totally weird to me, but that is beside the point. This week's favorite thing isn't actually my birthday, it's birthdays in general. In fact, I think I like other people's birthdays better. All of the attention on my birthday makes me uncomfortable, I don't want to be sung to in a restaurant (although, I will take a free dessert. I'm not above milking birthday benefits like that), or even really sung to at all. Sitting there in front of a flaming cake while people look at you and smile for 30 seconds is really weird. Am I the only one that thinks that?

Anyway, my favorite part of other people's birthdays is gift giving. If there was a triathlon of things I'm good at, one of my events would be gift giving. I love the thrill of the hunt, trying to find that perfect, unexpected gift. I've given people crystal figurines, weird Japanese DDR mats, Muffin Top cereal, and Warriors of Virtue movie posters as gifts in the last several years. And each person loved whatever weird gift they got.




Lately I've been on a pretty tight budget, so I've switched my focus to finding the perfect birthday card. Sometimes they are homemade (the last two cards I've sent have featured paper cutouts in the likeness of both me and the friend receiving the card) and sometimes Hallmark really makes the perfect card. They know what they are doing over there.

This week's hot jam in Good Vibrations by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. I know that Mark Wahlberg has tried to distance himself from his early 90s persona, but I'm not totally sure why. I get that he is a "serious actor" now, but that's no reason to be ashamed of his Marky Mark days. Mark Wahlberg, if you're reading this, there is no shame in having a number 1 hit song and a platinum-selling album.

I would love to know how the meeting about this video went, I imagine it sounded something like this:

Video director: So Mark, tell us what kind of stuff you like.
Marky Mark: Well, I like boxing and sex and gold chains
Video director: Excellent. How to do you feel about abandoned warehouse?
Marky Mark: They are only my fourth favorite thing in the whole world!
Video director: I have the perfect idea.

And the Good Vibrations video was born.

2 comments:

  1. i still can't get over the fact that this used to be mark wahlberg's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. right? i don't think he's totally given up this life though. i just watched the fighter and there is a scene where he is training and it def reminded me of this video.

    ReplyDelete