Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Biographies and Billy Joel

Writing might be on a little bit of a weird schedule for the next few weeks, I'm going to be traveling for work a bunch. Last week I was in Kodiak. (I didn't see a Kodiak bear. Unfortunately.) This week I'm back in the A-N-C then I'm off to southeast AK for 10 days.

This week's favorite thing is biographies. I like biographies for one reason - I'm nosy. I want to know all kinds of weird details about people, regardless of whether I know them or not. Right now I'm reading Kurt Vonnegut: Letters and I'm loving it. And I get to be doubly  nosy. Not only do I get to read all about his life, but I get to read his personal letters.


My favorite part was his letter to his pregnant first wife, Jane. He sent her a contract (you can read the whole thing here) and it's genius. And heartfelt. And pretty adorable. Good work, Kurt.

I also really like reading his opinions on other authors."Example: T.S. Eliot. Fuck him. Everyone knows he's from St. Louis. Everyone but him." Tell me how you really feel.

I think the next biography I'm going to read is Autobiography of a Spy by Mary Bancroft. Kurt replied to a letter she wrote in 1972 and called it amusing and generous. If she can write an amusing, generous letter she can probably write a pretty good book about being a spy too.

It just occurred to me that a post about biographies is timely in light of this whole (utterly ridiculous) Gen. Petraeus scandal. That was unintentional.




Fact: Billy Joel is a the key to a healthy relationship. Hot jam of the week is Tell Her About It because it's good advice and the video features Rodney Dangerfield. Did you know Billy Joel and I share a birthday?


No comments:

Post a Comment