Thursday, June 20, 2013

Life Stories and Loggins (and Messina)



I think back when I wrote about biographies I mentioned how nosy I am. I LOVE knowing stuff about people: gossip, what they had for lunch, why their favorite color is green, etc.  I want to know everyone’s life story, but even better is MAKING UP everyone’s life stories. Okay, maybe not everyone, but definitely strangers.

For example: I’ve lived in my apartment for almost 4 years(!) and I’ve never met my upstairs neighbor. We use the same stairs, he walks past my apartment multiple times a day, and we’ve never crossed paths. I call him Stompy McElephant Feet. Based on a few facts I’ve observed over the years, I’ve developed his backstory: He’s a single (ladies...), mid- to late-30s video game aficionado who works somewhere near our building, possibly the auto parts store around the corner. He likes to come home for lunch and get pizza delivered. When he’s not playing video games in his gaming chair, he’s doing jumping jacks and juggling bowling balls. He is not very good at juggling.
One of my favorite games to play at a restaurant is, “Is it a date?” The rules are simple:
1)      Pick out a couple
2)      Decide if they are on a date
a.       How many dates have they been on?
b.      How is it going?
c.       Is one more interested than the other?
d.      How are their food choices?
e.      Odds of ordering dessert
It’s a great game to play if YOU are on a date too.


This week’s hot jam is Danny’s Song by Loggins and Messina.Man, this is song is so...heartfelt. I've loved this song for a long time, but, full disclosure, I was inspired by The Voice last week. (Sorry I'm not sorry.) Kenny Loggins wrote this song as a gift for his brother when his son was born. Ah-dorable. (I hope he also got him something else though, I mean, the song is amazing, but not totally useful for a new parent...)

No comments:

Post a Comment