Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day and Cake

I think it's cheap and easy to hate Valentine's Day (and much like cheap and easy women, that's not a good thing). All the moaning about commercialization and cheap candy and forced love drives me insane. Just because "society" says you have to celebrate Valentine's Day one way, doesn't mean you do.

My love for Valentine's Day has only come about in recent years. Before you jump to the "Oh, she must have some one fabulous to celebrate with" conclusion, know that my big plan for Valentine's Day this year was a doctor's appointment. (Thanks, new health insurance!) I think I've mentioned before that I'm not a big traditional romance fan. Even if I did have some big elaborate Valentine's Day date to go on, I would much rather go roller skating than have some fancy, candle-lit steak dinner.

Not my kind of Valentine's Day
I prefer to think about Valentine's Day the same way I think about Thanksgiving. No one forces you to be thankful on Thanksgiving, it's more of a reminder to be thankful and to celebrate what you've got, rather than thinking about what you don't have. Valentine's Day can be the same kind of thing. No one is forcing you to be in love or to only show your love one day a year. Why doesn't everyone use Valentine's Day as a reminder to be loving? To be appreciative of the people in your life, not just a significant other, and to show them you care in whatever way suits you?  It doesn't have to involve heart shaped boxes of chocolate and cheap lingerie.

This week's hot jam is all too appropriate for the following reasons:
1) Valentine's Day for me, is about all kinds of love, and I love both Cake, the band, and cake, the food.
2) It's called Love You Madly. Hello? Perfect for Valentine's Day
3) The video is a Iron Chef-style competition and I love Iron Chef
4) It has Rick James, Phyllis Diller, and The Frugal Gourmet in it.'Nuff said

No comments:

Post a Comment