Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Gardens and Eagle-Eye Cherry

This time last year I was writing about baseball, and I’m tempted to do it again, but I won’t. (But if you’d like to (re)read my opinions on the sport, you can find it here)

Instead this week is going to be all about gardens. It seems appropriate as spring as finally sprung (if you will) and the record-breaking snow is melting here in Anchorage. Granted, planting won’t really start until May, but spring is nevertheless upon us.

Every year I think about starting a container garden on my porch and every year I don’t do it. But this year is going to be different! I’m really going to do it! (So I say now.)


I think there is something really calming about gardens and gardening. The smells, getting dirty, and the methodical work create a sort of calming trifecta for me. (Minus the fairly constant worry of getting stung by a bee.) Not to mention, after days or months of hard work you have something to show for it. Toiling away in the spring brings things like strawberries and fresh herbs and beautiful flowers later in the summer. Well worth it, if you ask me.


I think there is a serious lack of respect for music of the 90’s. Yes, Nirvana, blah blah blah, but there is a whole host of artists that are completely overlooked. Music from the 90’s isn’t old enough to be cool again, and generally doesn’t offend anyone, so it’s played in places like dentist offices and elevators. It’s hard to validate a song that you hear while getting a filling, but I’m up to the challenge. This week’s hot jam is Save Tonight by Eagle-Eye Cherry. Save Tonight was the only real hit for Eagle-Eye Cherry (who is just one guy, not a band, and was actually named Eagle-Eye Cherry by his parents) and I love a one hit wonder. The best part of Save Tonight is one line: There's a log on the fire/And it burns like me for you. Pure genius. It’s such a cheesy line, but so amazing. Of course, I would roll my eyes if a gentleman ever said that to me, but I would appreciate the reference.

This video is super weird, but would you expect anything less from a man legally named Eagle-Eye? It very easily could have been done in a slow jam-style, all bear skin rugs and roaring fires, but it's not even close. In fact, if there was an opposite to slow jam-style this might be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment