Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Baseball and The Jock Jams Megamix (Yes, seriously)

As I write this I'm grumbling at my computer. Mostly things like, "Really!?" and "Come on, guys!" and probably a few "You've got to be kidding me!"'s. Ah yes, baseball season is upon us. Baseball is one of my favorite things, and I am cursed with a love of the Cleveland Indians, hence the grumbling. I can hear you fellow baseball fans snickering, muttering about me being a poor sap. Yes, I know. They lose. A lot. (They've won 2 World Series', 1920 and 1948; and they have the longest World Series drought in the American League. It's the second longest drought in all of baseball. Topped only by my distant second favorite team, the Chicago Cubs' 102 year drought.) In fact, the Indians are losing right now. 8 to 3 to the White Sox. THE WHITE SOX of all teams! Horrible. Not to mention they lost on Friday 15 to 10 AND IT WAS THE HOME OPENER. But I love them still. (Edit: They finally won on Monday! Woohoo!)



It's really all my dad's fault that I love both baseball and the Indians. He's a big fan and it rubbed off on me and my sister. We lived in Cleveland until I was 8ish and I went to a few games as a kid. My sister even got to be a ball girl at one of the games. (Did you win an essay contest, Alissa?)

Alissa on the field. Check out that sweet jacket under her jersey


Alissa's friend Sarah and me before the game


I've been to a few since and I always love it. One time we got to use my parent's boss' season ticket seats at an Angels-Indians game. They were very good  seats. Like 10 rows behind home plate seats. Did you know they come and take your order down there? Very nice. It's not just major league baseball I like though, I love it all, little league, minor league. I think it's all great. Remember that scene in The Sandlot where the kids play the little leaguers? That's what baseball is about.



I know a lot of people aren't baseball fans because they think it's "boring". Nobody gets tackled, it's not particularly fast paced, there's rarely a fight (although bench-clearing brawls do break out every once in awhile). But I think the more you watch the more you like it. When you know the players and see the subtleties of the game it gets very exciting. Which is why I'm sitting on my couch in my PJs on a Saturday morning "watching" the game on MLB Gameday.  I know what these players can do and I hope to see them do it.  I think there is nothing more exciting a well timed double play, or a diving catch in the outfield, or seeing a guy whack a baseball  500 feet for a home run. Or what about the be-all and end-all of baseball? Stealing home. You can't tell me that's not exciting.




Keeping with the sports theme this week, the hot jam is none other than the Jock Jams Megamix. Chances are if you are a 20-something like I am, you owned Jock Jams vol. 3 or knew someone that did. There's no real reason to own it, you're probably not going to be cruising in your car blasting the megamix. More likely you were making up dance routines in your basement. Don't deny it, you know you did. A popular soundtrack to many a sleep over, Jock Jam Megamix is a hot jam because, well, it just is, so dust off those cheerleader moves and turn.it.up.

1 comment:

  1. Just for the record Dad entered my name at Sherwin Williams and I won.

    ReplyDelete