Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Writer's Block Edition and blink-182

Last night I was trying to decide what to write about for this week’s favorite thing. And I couldn’t think of anything. Not one single thing. I have lots of favorite things, why couldn’t I come up with anything good? I’m blaming writer’s block.  I was talking to my friend Jonathan K. Lawrence at the time (I’m an excellent multi-tasker) and because I talk to him nearly every day, I assumed he might have a good suggestion.  (I should have known better.) This is what transpired.  (Pictures weren’t part of the original conversation, but they make things more fun.)

me: what should i write about for my favorite thing this week?
Jonathan: Jonathan Lawrence and They Might Be Giants.
Wait.
 me: ...
Jonathan: Jonathan Lawrence and THIS GUY

 
Watch his other videos for a larger musical sample to write about.
me: i already narrowed the hot jams down to two, but i'll consider changing it for that guy...
  i assume you mean this jonathan lawrence? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Lawrence
Jonathan: Not him or the Lord of the Punjab.

Jonathan Lawrence, Lord of Punjab
me: this one? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0492845/
  or this one? http://crime.about.com/od/deathrow/ig/Florida-Death-Row-Inmates/Jonathan-Lawrence.htm
or this one? http://matchstic.com/blog/2012/01/ten-questions-with-jonathan/
  or this one? http://pluralism.org/affiliates/lawrence/
  i have a lot of choices 
Jonathan: Jonathan K. Lawrence
me: this one? http://www.usafns.com/show-msg.shtml?state=ar&msg=03504

We went on to discuss what middle name goes with Biggie Smalls (Answer: D’Ragonbreeder or D’Ragonslayer) Then later:

me: please pick a number 1 - 5
Jonathan: 2
me: okay. pick a number 1 - 15
Jonathan: 2 (editor's note: who picks the same number two times in a row?)
me: thanks
Jonathan: Does that mean I made it into your favorite things?
me: haha no. but you did pick what episode of 30 rock i'm watching right now.
  season 2 episode 2 
Jonathan: Does the "haha no" mean you're not writing about me?
me: no. i haven't decided yet.
  it depends whether i can come up with something better (editor's note: obviously i didn't)
Jonathan: I already know the answer to that.
  If you need any full-size photos (that won't be used to print on a body-pillowcase), I can provide some.
me: what makes you think i want a body pillowcase of you? you don't know my life!
  please imagine that in a mexican gangster accent 
Jonathan: *Willy Wonka look



me: my cholo voice plus you as willy wonka just made me lose it. i wonder if stompy heard me laugh out loud. 
Jonathan: Please tell me that you're wearing a button up shirt with only the top button fastened.
  Bandanas are optional at this hour. Baggy jorts are not.
me: duh. and i have my socks pulled all the way up.

Jonathan: This is way funnier than it should be.

And that's why Jonathan is one of my favorite things. But because he "don't know know my life", the hot jam is neither They Might Be Giants nor the weird guy from YouTube. It's What's My Age Again by blink-182. Friday will mark 13 years since Enema of the State came out. Whoa, right? So it seems appropriate to celebrate with the first single released on that album.

No comments:

Post a Comment