Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Dive Bars and Paul McCartney

Recently, Anchorage was voted America's Worst Dressed City, and based on subsequent news stories, residents appear to be wearing (no pun intended) the title with pride. (And for the record, Sarah Palin lives in Wasilla, not Anchorage.)

You want to see some really great Anchorage fashion? Head to one of the cities many dive bars. Fashion (or lack of) aside, there are a lot of things I love about dive bars (in Anchorage or elsewhere), including:

1) Bar games - Darts is my game of choice, but I've been known to play some shuffleboard too. If a bar has Big Buck Hunter (or any variation), it's all over, I'm moving in.
This is actually a bar trick rather than a bar game, but it's just as fun

2) Cheap beers - I've been known to buy a pricey 6 pack, but honestly, I'm just has happy to drink PBR or High Life. Maybe even happier?
At the Fairview in Talkeetna, you can get 3 sizes of PBR, 12, 16, or 24 ounces. All in a can.
3) Jukebox - They are full of classic rock and you know Bon Jovi is going to play at some point in the night. And who doesn't want to hear Bon Jovi? Good jukebox leads to awesome dance moves.

4) People watching - See Worst Dressed City.

5) Decor - I may not want my house to look like a dive bar, but I do love places with beer posters from 1987, decorated dollar bills stapled to the walls/ceiling, and neon signs.

This week's hot jam is Maybe I'm Amazed by Paul McCartney (who probably doesn't hang out at dive bars these days.) I realize it would be much more conventional to pick a Beatles-era Paul McCartney song, but it's my blog and I can do whatever I want. I'm a sucker for a love song and Maybe I'm Amazed is a great one. (According to Wikipedia, it's regarded as one of his "finest love songs." And if it's on Wikipedia, it must be true.)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE dive bars and I LOVE Paul McCartney and I totally agree "Maybe I'm Amazed" is one of the bestest love songs ever! "Live and Let Die" just came on my iPod, go figure. This is why we are birthday twin soul mates.

    ReplyDelete