Thursday, January 24, 2013

Brunch and The White Stripes

This week might as well be a guest post for Stuff (or is it Things? Whatever) White People Like.  If you were looking for my feelings on the underground rap scene, you'll just have to wait. Sorry.

Two Sundays ago my lady friends and I got together for brunch. If there is one thing white girls are REALLY good at, it's brunch. It combines a lot of our favorite things: day drinking, mini quiche, gossip, champagne, etc. Now, of course I am generalizing. But generalizations have to come from somewhere, right?

I was watching something recently (no idea what it was now) and one of the characters said something along the lines of "If you are drinking at 10am on a Tuesday, you have a problem, if it's 10am on a Sunday you have brunch." I have to agree.

Brunch is amazing because it's so...indulgent.  People who make impromptu weekend trip to the Bahamas have brunch.


Real Housewives have brunch.

It's almost so leisurely and indulgent you shouldn't be doing it.You know you could being doing something productive, but instead you're drinking mimosas.It's like ditching school, but for grown ups.

At our brunch my friends and I did had pancakes and bacon instead of mini-quiche,  but also did a clothing swap, tarot card readings, and were drinking mimosas sans OJ by 2pm. Like a boss. (Or a Housewife?)

Hot jam of the week is Hotel Yorba by The White Stripes. The White Stripes are one of those bands I always forget I really like. If someone asked me to name my top ten favorite bands, I probably wouldn't include TWS, but when I really think about it, they might be somewhere in the 6 to 8 range. I love Hotel Yorba because it's a little bluegrass-y and it's really hard not to tap your toes. Jack White is a bona fide weirdo but that only makes me like him more. Next time I'm in Nashville I'm going to see if he wants to be my best friend.


Bonus: Another band I sometimes forget I like, The Fratellis, covered Hotel Yorba and it's pretty great too. Check it out here

2 comments:

  1. Penny said it on Big Bang when the girls were having brunch and the guys were on the way to bakersfield. I totally stalk you blog. Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! thank you! i definitely couldn't remember. (and stalk away!)

      Delete