Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Office Supplies and .38 Special

A few years ago I got a label maker as a gift. And I was ecstatic, I mean like "best gift I had gotten in a long time" ecstatic. All because I love office supplies. I love them so much I would marry them if given the opportunity. Seriously.

Here are some examples of my undying love:

During garage sale season when I was little my mom would give me and my sister a couple bucks and tell us we could get whatever we wanted from the garage sales. I distinctly remember using my money to buy a desk organizer.

Like this one. Except mine only had 3 sections

One year I got to go with my dad to his office in Chicago for "Take your daughter to work day." This is where I learned about the magic of electric staplers. My dad was making copies or something and needed to staple them. He stuck the paper into a little gray box mounted on the wall, and BAM! they were stapled. I was amazed! He didn't have to push anything! I'm pretty sure I spent the rest of the day stapling stuff, whether it needed it or not

When I was growing up my mom worked at SciTech Science Center in Aurora (represent) and if I had the day off school, I would often go to the museum with her. That's where I learned about laminators and postal machines. I can still smell the lamination film. Sigh. And postal machines are sweet because you get to push all kinds of buttons (and who doesn't love doing that?) and then BAM! its ready to be mailed.

When I finished my student teaching last year my host teacher got me a gift certificate to Office Max. I only have a few dollars left on it and I'm going to use it to buy rubber cement.

I'm pretty convinced a large reason I went into teaching is the school supplies (another being summer vacation). Oh and I like kids or whatever. Blah blah blah.

Hot jam of the week is Hold On Loosely by .38 Special. .38 Special was never quite as famous as its other late 70's - early 80s counterparts, but Hold On Loosely is still a fabulous song. Like all good stadium rock songs, it's got loud guitars, a steady drum line, and words that are easy to sing really loud. I've always kind of identified with this song, it's all about having space in a relationship, which is a little weird for a song (and pretty deep, especially for the time) but I think that's what I like about.

No comments:

Post a Comment