Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Laying Down and Shooter Jennings

If you have a job that requires you to stand all day, you'll totally know what I'm talking about this week. Is there anything better than laying down in bed after standing all day? In that moment, as you sink into bed, nothing else matters.

I don't make the bed because doing so promotes the growth of
dust mites and the last thing I need in my life is more allergens. Also, I'm lazy.
It doesn't matter than you've been on your feet for 8+ hours, or that maybe you hate your job and have to get up and do it all over the next day. No, none of that matters for that 5 second window of pure bliss when you lay down. It's utter relaxation and it is amazing.

Sitting down on the couch has never had quite the same effect for me. Yes, it's nice when I can finally sit down  at the end of the day, but nothing quite compares to finally laying down in bed at the end of a long day.

As I've been trying to find the silver lining in my life, I try to enjoy the little moments like these every day, to take a minute to enjoy my contented sigh. I might not always be happy with the way things are going in my life right now, but I can be happy with the little things, and sometimes that just has to be enough.

The hot jam of the week is another southern rock jam (see Lynyrd Skynyrd), this time by Shooter Jennings. It's Manifesto No. 1. Keen eyes will recognize his last name. Yep, Shooter (who's real first name is Waylon) is the only son of country music legends Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter. I saw Shooter (we're on a first name basis, clearly) a few years ago at Stagecoach music festival and he is just as good live as he is on his albums. The crowd was a total mix of people too, which I love, good 'ol boys, kids (probably not totally appropriate for them, but still), twenty-something hipsters, parents, etc, and they were ALL having a good time.

Manifesto No. 1 is a great foot stomping, hand clapping kind of song, I mean, it's hard not too. Not mention, how many times have you wanted to say something like, "If that's how you say 'hello', well you can kiss my ass goodbye"? If you haven't before, you'll want to after hearing this song.

I think Shooter Jennings sounds like a cross between Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bon Jovi, circa Dead or Alive, and with a mash up like that, it can't be anything but a hot jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment