Tuesday, October 18, 2011

High Heels and The Turtles

As a sorority alumnae (TriDelta, represent) I've worn my fair share of high heels. Chapter meetings, brunches, formals, etc., all require fancy footwear, and assuming I don't have to stand for a million hours, I love wearing them. But I live in Alaska now and you are far more likely to see me in these.


While XtraTufs are far more comfortable, they aren't nearly as cute as these...


Things I like about high heels:

1. They automatically make your legs look fabulous.
2. They make you taller. At 5"4' sometimes I like to feel a little taller.
3. Heels + pencil skirt = sexy without trying
4. They are a little bit dangerous: step wrong and you've got a sprained ankle, wear them with the wrong skirt and you look like a hooker.
5. Nobody messes with a girl in heels

There is one reason I love Elenore by The Turtles: the line, "You're my pride and joy, et cetera." What other band successfully uses et cetera in a song lyric? You'd be hard pressed to find one. I had never seen The Turtles before I went looking for a video. I love that they look like used car salesman and that they have a very enthusiastic tambourine player. The Turtles are probably most famous for their song Happy Together but I like Elenore much better.

I love that The Turtles don't take themselves too seriously. They definitely could have; Happy Together knocked The Beatles' Penny Lane out of the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, but they really just seem to be having a good time. (But I guess if one of your lead singers looks like this and occasionally calls himself "The Phlorescent Leech" you probably wouldn't take yourselves too seriously)


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel like you are eavesdropping on conversations I have when you're not around. Just the other day, my team teacher asked me for ideas on what to name her new cat. I had "Elenore" stuck in my head at the time, we bypassed the ASD filter, and watched YouTube videos. We also mentioned the awesomeness of et cetera. This is probably why we're friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my psychic powers have been extra power-y lately. (clearly my adjective vocabulary has not.)

    ReplyDelete