Saturday, October 15, 2011

UFC and Nicki Minaj

Apologies for the late posting this week, life got busy.

I have a now-not-so-secret passion for UFC fights. They are always violent (obviously) and sometimes gory and I love them. Modern day (well paid) gladiators in an octagon: it's a train wreck and I can't stop staring. Which brings me to Wednesday's adventure.

Last week my friend Brinna mentioned that she served (as a waitress, of course) some of the fighters from Alaska's answer to the UFC, the AFC, and they suggested she attend the fight on Wednesday. My friend Michaela and I jumped at the chance to go, we'd been talking about it for awhile but never went. So Wednesday evening (after a long day of teaching for all of us)  headed over to the Sullivan Arena for AFC 85(?).

We knew we were in for a good time when, after purchasing our $20 general admission tickets, the usher told us that we could sit in the $60 seats, but if someone came, she'd have to move us. We were three rows from the floor. No one ever came for our seats.


There were 12 fights. Some good, some bad. A couple lasted less that a minute.There was even one lady fight, which was poorly matched and way less exciting than one would think. But the real prize was the people watching. Lots of men in TapouT t-shirts, girls in short skirts, pregnant women, and a surprising number of children.


Brinna is trying to get us free floor seats for next month's fights. Ballin' Alaska style


This week's hot jam is Super Bass by Nicki Minaj. In general, I'm not a Nicki Minaj fan. I cannot take her Lil Kim meets Lady Gaga persona seriously, but I love this song. It plays on the radio here ALL the time and I'm not sick of it yet, so it must be a hot jam. I'm sure being a female rapper is difficult, it is a men's game, but Nicki Minaj does it well. She was the first women to be included in MTV's annual Hottest MC list, joining people like Jay-Z, Eminem and Lil Wayne (of course, that list has only been around since 2007, but still pretty impressive)

No comments:

Post a Comment