Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Cooking, Erik Larson, and Pure Prairie League

I'm adding a new feature to a few of my favorite things this week, but I'll get to that.

In general, if it's between the hours of 5pm and 7pm, you'll find me like this:

Sometimes without the beer, sometimes bundled up in pants and sweatshirt, sometimes wearing a full apron, but you get the idea. I love cooking, more specifically, I love the science of cooking. I like seeing 5 seemingly random ingredients turn into something delicious. I like watching soup thicken after adding corn starch. I like feeling like a mad scientist when I'm mixing stuff up.

My favorite part of cooking is figuring out how to make something I've eaten at a restaurant. There are a lot of restaurant hack websites around if you are looking for something specific, but I mostly just mess around until I get it right. There is a restaurant in Flagstaff, AZ called MartAnne's. It's the best Mexican breakfast food you can get.Whenever I go, I get enchiladas y huevos. I had a giant craving for them, but being 3000 miles from Flagstaff, I had to make them myself. I found a super easy and delicious enchilada sauce recipe online and went to work. (If you are interested, it's here. I don't use flour, because it always gets thick enough without it. I also add a little cocoa.) And they turned out delicious!



New Feature!
I read a lot of books. Like a lot. Last year I read 50. I read all sorts of stuff; fiction, non fiction, short stories, biographies, etc etc etc, so I decided to add book reviews to my favorite things. Here's how it's going to work: If I'm reading/have recently read a good book I think other people might like, I'm just going to write a little about it and then maybe you'll want to read it too. Fun and informative

Right now I'm about half way through a book called The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson and it's excellent (so far).


It's an extremely well written book that combines the story of the architects of the 1893 World Columbian Exposition in Chicago and America's first serial killer, H.H. Holmes.  The architects were using the fair to put the United States on the map, so to speak, and  H.H. Holmes was using the fair to lure young women to their death. In fact, it's so well written that I can only read it during the day because the parts about Holmes are so unsettling. Pardon the colloquialism, but H.H. Holmes was mad scary.

It's also full of interesting facts that I'm sure will come in handy if I'm ever on Jeopardy! For example, in the first 6 months of 1892, there were nearly 800 violent deaths in Chicago (e.g., deaths due to stabbings or shootings). That's about 4 per day! And that's not including deaths due carriage accidents, streetcar accidents, or any of the numerous maladies (typhoid, small pox, cholera) that plagued the city.

This week's hot jam is Amie by Pure Prairie League. A couple years ago I spent the summer in Jackson, WY. (Which is beautiful and amazing and one of my favorite places ever.) Every Tuesday at the Silver Dollar Bar in Jackson is bluegrass night and a band called One Ton Pig always plays.They play originals and covers and one cover that always seemed to come up was Amie. Which is fine with me because I love that song.



Sorry, I couldn't find a good live video.

No comments:

Post a Comment