Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Snow Days and Alvin Robinson/Old Crow Medicine Show

On Monday there was a vague hope of a snow day this week. There was a special weather statement and everything, suggest wind and rain and blizzard conditions.

Here in Alaska we never get snow days. The only way one will even be considered is if the buses can’t get around town or they can’t get the parking lots plowed in time for the start of school. Most of the time school is canceled because of ice, so I was excited when I saw rain and above freezing temperatures in the forecast.

The last time we had a snow day it looked like this. And school wasn't even canceled for snow. It was canceled because all the roads were like a hockey rink.

By Monday afternoon, however, the special weather statement was gone. The forecast was no longer reporting wind and rain (what’s up, global warming) and snow. There goes the hope for a snow day.

But this week is not about how disappointing it is to not get a snow day. It’s about how exciting it is when one actually happens.

Kids are not the only ones who hope for a snow day. It is just as exciting when you are a teacher. Who doesn’t want a day off in the middle of the week? Or even better a 3-(or 4!) day weekend! There is nothing quite like hearing, “All Anchorage public schools are closed today due to weather and road conditions” when your alarm goes off. I love going back to sleep knowing I don’t have a single thing to do that day. Don't get me wrong, I really like my job. I just like sleeping in more.

Bonus favorite thing!

For Thanksgiving I went down to Nashville and I got to meet this little guy for the first time!

His name is Barrett and he's my favorite (and only) nephew. Adorbs, right?

I had every intention of writing about Old Crow Medicine Show's version of Down Home Girl for this week's hot jam. It's the version I'm most familiar with and I love me some bluegrass. But while researching the song, I discovered that Down Home Girl has a long history. It was originally done by Alvin Robinson in 1964. It was later covered by The Rolling Stones in 1965, The Coasters in 1967, and most recently, Old Crow Medicine Show in 2006, just to name a few. It was apparently even adapted into a song called Forgive Me Jah by Super Cat.

Down Home Girl is sexy in a weird way. A lot of the lines sound like insults, but you can’t really be sure. “Every time I kiss you girl -”

“Oh,” you think, “ this could be good.”

Except the next line is, “You taste like pork and beans.” Weird, but maybe he’s into that?

Or “I’m going to take to you to the muddy river/And push you in…”

Hmm…that doesn’t sound very gentlemanly.

“So I can watch the water roll on down your velvet skin.” Oh, well I guess that isn’t so bad?

My favorite line is "Every time you move like that/I got to go to Sunday mass." So much better than the modern-day, "DAYUM girl, you's a good dancer!"

I'd never heard the original (being the B-side of a song I'd never heard of) and was pleasantly surprised to find it on YouTube. (Isn't the internet amazing?) Turns out I love the original. It's bluesy and awesome and sounds more...legitimate? then the covers. But I couldn't decide which version I liked better so you are getting both this week.




No comments:

Post a Comment