Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Special Edition: Books of the Year and Billy Joel

So I finally got around to tallying up my book list for 2011. I've been keeping a list of books I've finished for the past couple years and it turns out I must have had A LOT of time on my hands in 2011. I read a lot of books. I mean a lot. 64 of them. (6 were young adult so those don't really count, but 58 is still a lot.)

These are my favorites from 2011 in chronological order (there were actually a few more favorites, but no one wants to read that many book reviews, nor do I want to write them.):

The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton
This was my Christmas book last year. My mom was recommended it, and got it for me because it's long and she hates when I finish my book by 2:00 on Christmas day. The Forgotten Garden weaves together two stories taking place hundreds of years apart but in the same place. There's mystery and intrigue and self discovery. Not to mention, it's incredibly well written.

The Diaries of Adam and Eve - Mark Twain
Mark Twain is the cleverist (yes, I realize that's not a word) guy around. The Diaries of Adam and Eve are clever and witty and an excellent love story. Several times while reading it, I thought to myself, "Hmmm, I bet that would have been weird..." I mean, can you imagine suddenly being not only alive, but a grown-up, and having complex mental processes. That would have been very confusing. He humanized the first humans (if those are you religious leanings) and did so beautifully.

The Third Coast - Ted McClelland

I don't know what to say when people ask me where I'm from. I have a few "homes" and the Midwest has always felt like one of them. The Third Coast is a memoir-y nonfiction book that tells the story of the author's trip around all of the Great Lakes. He started in Chicago (actually near the Calumet River, so he was so far east he was practically in Indiana) and drove all the way around, exploring cities and meeting some very interesting characters. I've been to a good chunk of the places he went so reading it was a little like going home.

In the Heart of the Sea - Nathaniel Philbrick

I picked up In the Heart of the Sea because it was on a list of books about cannibalism on NPR, and I was intrigued. There was actually far less cannibalism than I thought there was going to be, but it was good nonetheless, so that's saying something. In the Heart of the Sea is the true story that Herman Melville based Moby Dick on, and the since I know the real story now, I don't feel like I have to read Moby Dick, so it's a win-win. It's non-fiction, but reads like a novel and makes you wonder what you would do if you were lost at sea.

Of Time, Space, and Other Things - Isaac Asimov

My friend Jonathan recommended Of Time, Space, and Other Things to me because it would make me feel smart. Not in a "Man, that Asimov is an idiot. I'm WAY smarter than him" kind of way, more of a "Holy cow, this book is blowing my mind" kind of way. Generally, one would expect a book like this to be dry and confusing. Of Time, Space, and Other Things may be a little confusing, but it's anything but dry. You can tell by Asimov's writing how passionate he was about history and science (and other things). It reads almost frantically, like he couldn't write fast enough for his ideas. Asimov is funny and clever and makes some deep concepts seem almost understandable.

The hot jam of the week is She's Always a Woman by Billy Joel. There a lot of things to love about this video, regardless of how you feel about the song. Just look at his hair. It would only be more amazing if he had a rat tail. I also really like the cheesy psuedo-surprised look after he checks, what I assume to be, the set list. But I happen to love both the video and the song. It's a great ballad about loving a lady for being tough as nails and not takin' nothin' from nobody, if you will. According to Wikipedia (which is always right, right?) he wrote it for his then-wife Elizabeth who took over managing his career and was known for being a tough and savvy business lady. (But the ended up divorced, so maybe a woman who will "carelessly cut you, and laugh while you're bleeding" isn't the marrying type.)

Bonus! A few people/bands have covered this song, but I really like this version by Copeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment