Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Beaches and Doris Troy

Happy New Year, Folks. Apologies for the hiatus, but I took the holidays off.

I enjoyed a lovely Christmas at home in California. I love a good White Christmas, but it’s hard to argue with a sunny and 70 Christmas instead. Christmas eve eve (yes, I do mean eve eve) my parents and I went to the tidepools at Cabrillo National Monument.



I think beaches, whether they are ocean, lake, river, creek, pond, etc, are pretty much the best thing ever. I did my senior thesis on the correlation between sand grain size and beach slope which allowed me to spend a few afternoons on the beach with a tape measure. When we mapped near the Colorado River I made sure my independent project allowed me to hang out by the water as much as possible.



You know how some people say they wouldn’t want to go to a beach resort just to sit on the sand all day? I’m not one of those people. I’m really good at sitting on the sand all day. I think it’s related to my porch sitting abilities.

I’ve been to some pretty amazing beaches, like these:








I think Just One Look by Doris Troy is just about the cutest song of all time. Not to mention Doris has an amazing voice. Doris Troy was a one-hit wonder, and I really wish she had released more songs. At the time though, she had some pretty stiff competition. 1963 saw hits from The Chiffons, Martha and the Vandellas, The Crystals, The Shirelles, Leslie Gore, and The Angels so there wasn’t a lot of room for more songstresses. But one hit is better than none, and this is a pretty good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment