Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Love to Hate and Backyard Tire Fire

Usually I avoid writing about things I hate because that would be depressing. But there are a few things I LOVE to hate. I'm sure that says something about my psyche, but I don't care.

 1) Bananas - I hate bananas with the fire of 1,000 suns.  I hate banana flavored candy, banana bread, and bananas in my smoothies. If I was on a deserted island and had the choice to eat sand or bananas, I would pick sand. I haven't always had such a passionate hatred for bananas. They were never my favorite, but I could tolerate them. Then in 6th grade I developed a weird illness and the doctors thought it might be a potassium deficiency. Their prescription: eat bananas. A lot of bananas. I've never been the same. Thanks, pediatricians.
Enjoy this weird video someone made for Demetri Martin's banana joke

2) Twilight series - I'm fully prepared for hate mail on this one, but I'm steadfast in my dislike for this series. In theory, I should love this series. I love a good young adult romance, but even reading an excerpt made me want to claw my own eyes out.  I would have no problem with them if they were well-written, but they are TERRIBLY written. When I worked at the library and (mostly girls) came in to check them out, I always tried to get them to read something else. "Oh sorry, all 17 copies of the Twilight series are checked out. Have you read The Hunger Games?"



3) Internet-Speak - Being the mid-20something I am, I was around when the internet was invented. (Okay, not exactly. Researchers in 1972 blah blah blah ) I remember patiently waiting for this sound to finish so I could hear "You've got mail!" and see what sweet forwards and quizzes I had in my inbox. Sure, at the time I used my fair share of internet-speak, but I avoid it these days. BECAUSE I'M A GROWN UP. I make quick work of deleting facebook friends whose sTaTuS LOoKs LyKe DiS.

Don't say "C U laterz" Because you won't. Because you'll be on my dunzo list. C U neverz.


4) Baseball teams ending in Sox - Duh.
Go Tribe!


This week's hot jam is not something I love to hate, but rather something I love to love. It's How in the Hell Did You Get Back Here by Backyard Tire Fire. I have a soft spot for Backyard Tire Fire being the Illinois boys they are. (Ed and Matt Anderson grew up 30 minutes from me. Not that I knew them, but still). I like to support my fellow Illinoisans (except the White Sox, obviously) so it's about time they made the hot jam of the week. I love that this song sounds like it's being sung through a megaphone and all the random locals in the video. It looks like home.

Southern rock/alt-country is a genre with little room for error, it's really obvious when it's good, but it's also really obvious when it's bad. Luckily, Backyard Tire Fire is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment