Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Travel and R.Kelly

I just got back from a work trip to Fairbanks and a vacation to Durham. I like going new places and getting my picture taken in front of new tourist attractions.

Like the Lucky Strike tower in Durham
 I'm not a huge fan of flying, but until I've developed teleportation powers, air travel will have to do.
Jumper, anyone?





If you are not aware, Anchorage is really far from most places, which means whenever I fly anywhere I'm probably going to have to make at least one, but probably two connections.



 As a result, I've been in a lot of airports and I've picked up some travel tips along the way.


Travel tips and ways not to annoy your fellow travelers:

1) Want to check a bag but don't want to pay for it? If you are on a full flight (as mine always seem to be), pack in the biggest carry-on you can. Chances are they will check your bag through to your final destination at the gate because everyone and their mom packs in a roller bag and they won't all fit in the overhead compartment. Bonus: you don't have to lift your giant bag over your head.


2) If your flight gets canceled go down to the ticketing counter and skip the desk at the gate. They'll be swamped. Also while you are walking/waiting in line, call the airline's help number. And be polite. Airline staff are not trying to keep you in the airport. You're way more likely to get put in first class seat you don't have to pay for if you say please and thank you.

3) If you are on a full flight, don't go up to the counter and ask to switch to a window/aisle seat. Everyone hates you and no one wants to trade. Check-in on time and you won't have to deal with it.

4) Practically every flight out of Anchorage is a red eye, so I'm well-versed in the finer points of airplane sleeping. I like the window because I can lean against it and won't get my elbows bashed by the drink cart or accidentally start snuggling up with my neighbor.
But sitting in the window means you are not getting up to go to the bathroom. Everyone in your row is going to be asleep. Just accept it and don't order 5 ginger ales.

5) NO, YOU CAN'T TAKE THAT DASANI YOU JUST BOUGHT THROUGH SECURITY. It's been more than 10 years, folks. Learn the TSA rules. You are holding up the line. (Note: a jar of peanut butter is considered a liquid, so put it on a sandwich or put it in your checked bag) (Double note: they WILL let you take a quart sized bag of mini liquor bottles through. Just FYI)

This week's hot jam is Ignition (Remix) by R. Kelly. I love hip hop and as terrible as R. Kelly is at making life choices, he makes a good hip hop song. Try not to get it stuck in your head. Go ahead. You won't be able to. This came on when I was out for Halloween last weekend. It's been stuck in my head since. You're welcome.



Bonus points for spotting Nick Cannon

No comments:

Post a Comment