Wednesday, April 17, 2013

San Antonio, Travel Tips, and Bell Biv DeVoe

I was in San Antonio last week for the National Science Teachers Association conference, and granted I only was there a few days and only explored an about 10 block area, but these are the things I liked:

1) Sunshine and warm weather - It was 80 degrees. 80. degrees. It was 15 degrees when I left for work this morning, so you can imagine how much I enjoyed the 65 degree temperature increase.


I booked my hotel specifically for the rooftop pool.
2) Crosswalks talk to you - "Wait. Wait. Wait. Crossing Alamo at Commerce" I know this is for visually impaired people, and that's great.But I really like that I feel like I'm sticking to the man when I cross the street while the crosswalk is telling me to wait. YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFE. I DO WHAT I WANT.

3) Speaking of crosswalks, it's walk-able - At least the downtown area is. Sure, you can walk around downtown in Anchorage, but can you wear jorts and eat gelato while members of a mariachi band cross the street ahead of you? No.

4) Riverwalk - Okay, it's a little touristy and, to be honest, reminds me of Las Vegas, but I like it nonetheless.

5) The Alamo - Sue me. I love a good historical site.




I wrote about travel tips before, but here are some more:
1) Don't crowd the gate - It's rude and annoying and if you are in group 4, you aren't getting any overhead space anyway, so just chill out.

2) Be aware of your scents - Be it perfume, body odor, or beef jerky, remember that you and everyone else are going to be trapped in a relatively small metal tube for many hours. Be courteous.

3) Nail filing - I fly pretty often, but this was a new one for me. While sitting at the gate in San Antonio the woman next to me started filing her nails. I thought, "Oh, maybe she snagged her nail on the zipper of her suitcase. That hurts." But then she just kept filing. And filing. And filing. Then the next thing I know, there are gross fingernail shavings all over her chair. THE AIRPORT IS NOT THE PLACE FOR THAT. Gross.


I really wanted the Hot Jam this week to be Bump 'n Grind by R.Kelly. But it turns out I already wrote about that during Slow Jam Week (who would have thought?) So instead this week's hot jam is Poison by Bell Biv DeVoe. Not only is the video A-MAZING, but Poison features lines like, "Never trust a big butt and smile." Lyrical genius. Just try not to dance.




No comments:

Post a Comment