Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Letters and Blu Cantrell/Carolina Chocolate Drops

I haven't written about letters yet, have I? I'm starting to lose track. Anyway, we are back to regularly scheduled writing and my favorite thing(s) this week is letters: writing them, reading them, mailing them, etc. It's a lost art form (right Sarah?) and I really think the world would be a better place if more people wrote letters. Can you really be mad at anyone when you get a cute, catching up type letter in the mail? No.


I'm not even going to start on love letters. Gentlemen, you want to win a girl over? Skip the flowers, send a letter.

I try to write letters pretty regularly (even though I'm behind in my writing currently, sorry pen pals.) The people I write to are people I talk to on a regular basis but keeping up via the US Postal Service is way more fun that keeping up via Gmail and Facebook. There's something more personal about it.

In a world that is all about instant gratification, I think letter writing is really important. It takes longer to sit down and write a letter versus sending an email, it takes a few days to get the letter, and then at least a few days to get one back. It reminds you to slow down, smell the roses, be patient, all those virtues we sometimes forget.

This week's hot jam is Hit 'Em Up Style by Blu Cantrell, a solid revenge song. Blu Cantrell (or the writer of the song, Dallas Austin, I guess) knows how to hit a man were it hurts. You want to cheat? I'm going to spend all your money AND ruin your credit. Ouch.

This video is actually a cover done by Carolina Chocolate Drops, a Grammy Award winning old-timeish string band from Durham, NC. What I like about this cover is it combines fiddle and banjo with beatboxing. I mean, what? Weird and awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment