Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Special edition!

Surprise! It's slow jam week here at a few of my favorite things! That's right, I'm frustrated with a lot of things right now, so I figured it's probably best to remind myself of things that I love everyday this week. And there are few things I love more than a good slow jam, everyday I'm going to write about a common attribute found in all slow jams (with musical/video evidence, of course)

So dim the lights and pop a bottle of Cristal because it's slow jam week: day 1


Picture it: Sicily, 1912. Wait, that's Sophia Petrillo

Picture it: Jefferson Middle School, 1999. Ah yes, nothing like a middle school dance. And what's the DJ playing? Slow jams. Because the 90s and early 2000s produced some of the best slow jams of all time. I'm talking Boyz II Men, Brian McKnight, Joe, Brandy, Monica, K-Ci and Jo Jo, All 4 One, Babyface, R. Kelly, Usher etc etc etc

All good slow jams have the same beat. You know it, it's the step-snap beat. It's perfect for slow dancing and performances featuring stools and/or microphone stands.

For example. K-Ci and JoJo's All My Life. K-Ci and JoJo are a slow jam powerhouse. They know exactly what they are doing. All My Life, realeased in 1998 was a  big hit for them. It debuted at number 15 on the Billboard charts and eventually made it to number 1. But the real success of a slow jam is measured in how many weddings it's played at and you can bet that All My Life is played at the majority of weddings. (Although, I've always found the lyrics a little odd for a romantic song. "Close to me just like my mother..." Um what?)


No comments:

Post a Comment