Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Deceptively Delicious and Freda Payne

I have the eating habits of a child. My favorite food is pizza and I have to work REALLY hard to manage my addiction to flaming hot cheetos. (Are those made with crack? Seriously, what's in the them?) But because it turns out you need to eat things of nutritional value, I try to eat healthy things. Sometimes. But the problem is I hate most vegetables. That's where Deceptively Delicious comes in.


Written by Jessica Seinfeld, it's a cookbook full of awesome recipes, all with hidden vegetables. It's meant for parents who need to deceive their children in order to get them to eat vegetables, but it works perfect for me. I don't care if there are vegetables in things, I just don't want to taste them. The main idea is to make a bunch of vegetable or fruit purees (squash, sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) then add them to pretty much whatever you want. I made an egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast and put butternut squash/sweet potato puree on it and it was super good.

Are you thinking to yourself, "Hmmm. I wonder if she has any relation to Jerry Seinfeld..."? Yep, Jessica is Jerry's wife. I didn't put two and two together until I saw this drawing on the bottom of one of the pages.


The cookbook isn't all macaroni and cheese and pizza, although there are recipes for both. It has some grown up-y recipes too. I'm most excited to try the Aloha Chicken Kebabs. They sound delish! It even has a whole section of desserts: Brownies with carrot and spinich, gingerbread spice cake with carrot and broccoli, chocolate cupcakes with avocado and cauliflower, etc, etc, etc...In all honesty, I think those sound pretty disgusting, but Jessica swears you can't taste the vegetables. I'll let you know how it goes...

This week's hot jam is Band of Gold by Freda Payne. I've always really liked this song, although I'm not really sure why. Whenever this song comes on the radio I will unabashedly belt it out (not that I can do it justice.) Produced it 1970, it tells the story of a young woman who married a man who couldn't/wouldn't love her. When approached about the song Freda Payne refused to do it, saying it sounded like something a whiny teenager would say, but eventually gave in and the song became a huge it for her.

This isn't the best video, but it has a really awesome description and some great shots of people singing in the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment