Saturday, August 20, 2011

Slow Jam Week Day 5: Melodrama

Slow jams are all about strong emotions; love, hate, passion, angst, it's all in there. And because of all the emotional turmoil you get some very melodramatic lyrics. "Baby girl, I'm going to die without you." "I love you so much my heart is going to explode." Everyone knows (except maybe angsty teenagers) that you aren't going to die and you're hearts not going to explode. But nobody wants to hear lyrics like, "Baby girl, I think you are okay." or "We've broken up, but don't worry, it's amicable"

Example 1: I Swear by All-4-One. First of all, who knew there was a Mexican guy and a white guy in All-4-One? Anyone? I sure didn't. Slow jams aren't known for their multiculturalism. But I digress.  I Swear is a heartfelt expression of love and commitment played at weddings everywhere. And rightly so, it's full of lyrics like "I'll love you with every beat of my heart" and "As time turns the page, my love won't age at all." If that's not slow jam wedding material I don't know what is.

Fun fact: My future wedding vows will be, word for word, the lyrics to I Swear. Not even kidding.



Example 2: Have you Ever by Brandy. About time I had a lady slow jammer on here. My melodramatic 8th grade soul really loved this one. In fact, I'd challenge you find someone who hasn't thought, "Brandy, I know exactly what you are talking about! It's like you are reading my thoughts!" Okay, maybe just people who also had melodramatic phases around the late 90s. But still, that's probably a lot of people.

1 comment:

  1. I've had Have You Ever in my head a lottt lately and I don't know why! I don't think I've heard it anywhere recently. Maybe I was just being psychic, forseeing this blog post.

    And I Swear is probably one of my favorite songs ever. Still gives me chills!

    -Fish

    ReplyDelete