Monday, April 7, 2014

Lent Day 34: Spicy Foods

I'm a picky eater. Always have been. I hate bananas, mushrooms, water creatures, tomatoes, onions, slimy fruits (like peaches and plums), both diet pop and root beer, Life cereal (sorry, Mikey) and nuts in my cookies, to name a few. I prefer my sandwiches without crusts and my apples without peels. In short, I eat like a child. Except for spicy foods. I LOVE spicy foods. (Wait. Maybe I'm underestimating kids, do they eat spicy foods? Eh, not the point.)

I realize that based on the previous statements, you might assume I mean Fire Sauce at Taco Bell. I don't. Thai, Indian, Mexican, Ethiopian - (yes, Ethiopian) I enjoy it all. Probably because they all work on the same basic principle: meat, starch, spicy sauce. (This is assuming I can pick around mushrooms and onions, which are in freaking everything.) When meat, starch, and a spicy sauce combine, you can get a delicious, delicious lovechild.

 I don't want something so spicy I can't taste anything any more. I feel like that defeats the purpose. I want my food to be spicy and flavorful.

I think ghost chilies are a little out of my league
There are all sorts of studies about the health benefits of spicy food. It releases endorphins, it has antimicrobial properties, etc etc. Ergo, Flaming Hot Cheetos are good for you, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment