Sunday, April 13, 2014

Lent Day 40: Mysteries

For those of you keeping track at home (or if you have read today's title), today is day 40 of Lent. But it is not Easter. Yeah, Lent is actually longer than 40 days.

Catholics are gluttons for punishment. Wait, what? Deadly sins?

Sometimes I put popular/new releases on hold at the library and then forget about them until I get the email, many weeks later, that my book is in. That's what happened last week. I just started reading The Luminaries,  it's 800some pages (which I didn't know when I put it on hold) and I'm never going to finish it before I have to return it. (I assume that I'm not the only one who wants to read it, so I won't be able to renew it.) Which is really unfortunate, because it is a really good mystery.

I've always loved mysteries. When I was a kid I read a lot of Nancy Drew and Boxcar Children and Encyclopedia Brown books. I loved Harriett the Spy (although, rewatching the movie made me realize that Harriett is a jerk.) I wanted to solve mysteries, but growing up in suburban Illinois didn't lead to a lot of mysteries.

There was not a lot of trouble brewing on Bradford Lane*
Fictional mysteries, real mysteries. Don't care, love them all. What happened to Amelia Earhart? Or the Lindbergh Baby? What are spies really doing? Did Mystery, the Pick Up Artist ever actually pick up any women (double mystery!)?  I think it comes from being both curious and nosy, but I just want to know everything. Is that too much to ask?



*not actually an image of Bradford Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment