Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Lent Day 36: Unnecessary Quotation Marks

A couple years ago, I happened to be working at a school during Drug Free Week. In celebration (?), the teachers were instructed to hand out bookmarks to all the students. They were large and pink and said:

I PLEDGE TO BE "DRUG FREE"

Yes, with the quotes. 

I love the implied *wink wink* of unnecessary quotations marks. "Yeah sure, I pledge to be  'drug free.' Well, you know, except for alcohol. And crack."

I'm "sorry" I implied kids are drinking and doing crack

I feel like BBC news uses a lot of unnecessary quotes. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's an American thing, but every time I read one of their, very serious, often sad, headlines, I can't help but hear the if you know what I mean voice...

"Rio says the games are going to be 'great'. Surrrreeee."


No comments:

Post a Comment