Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Lent Day 22: Old Photos

When I was a kid, (and now too), I loved looking at my parents' yearbooks. Nothing quite like the hair of the 1970s, right? (I remember getting my senior pictures taken and wondering what part of my yearbook my kids would find the funniest.) I'm a big fan of photographs. In fact, I can see 28 from where I'm sitting right now. But I especially love old photographs, like the ones in my parents' yearbooks, and these:

This awesome one of my dad

And this proof of my sister's care bear stare

Photos are my favorite record of history. I think the stories are interesting, but photos are such a perfect glance back in time. It's easy to manipulate a story, but it's a little harder to manipulate a photo.



Okay, not that hard. But manipulated photos, like double exposed "spirit photos", are really a historical record of a different sort.

Working at the museum means I have access to a lot of old photos. We have an exhibit going up right now about the 1964 earthquake, and it has some amazing photographs. There is still visible evidence of the earthquake around the state, but seeing images like this is so much more powerful.


No comments:

Post a Comment