Friday, March 28, 2014

Lent Day 24: Kid Compliments

The other day I was teaching a class I find really fun, and for the most part kids find it fun too. But for the first 5 minutes or so it's a lot of me talking before I start shattering frozen racquet balls and handing them dry ice. For some kids, 5 minutes is too long.

If only I could have a cat in my classroom!

About 3 minutes into my spiel about molecules a kid raises her hand and sort of snottily says, "I thought this was going to be interesting. " I immediately start thinking of my, "sorry you are disappointed" response when she says, "AND IT'S AMAZING!!!" Well played, third grader, you totally had me going.

In my line of work, it's all about making the kids happy. Oh and making sure they learn something. So it makes me really happy to hear kids say something like that third grader did. (I value those comments over those of their teachers. Is that bad?) 

The best compliment? "THIS WAS AWESOME! I TOTALLY WANT TO BE A SCIENTIST WHEN I GROW UP!" Be still my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment