Friday, March 7, 2014

Lent Day 3: The Library

I can't remember the last time I purchased a book. Maybe at an airport somewhere? Not because I don't read, but because, ladies and gentlemen, you can go to this great place and they will GIVE you books. GIVE them to you. For FREE. All they ask is that you return it in a timely fashion. And even if you don't get them back quite on time, you only have to pay a quarter, maybe a dollar or maybe five, if you really dropped the ball. Still less than the price of your book, folks. This magical place is the library. 


I'm currently reading The Summer of Beer and Whiskey. It's about baseball, and it's great. Do you know how many books the Anchorage Library has about baseball? Just at my nearest branch, there are 1256. In theory, I could read them all. But I'm not going to, because there are so many other things to read about!  For example, my tall-drink-of-water wants to build a cabin. So I checked out 5 books about cabin building. I also checked out a fluffy mystery (You know, fluffy: easy to read, doesn't take a lot of thought.) Because I like to be a well-rounded reader.


Okay, so maybe you don't like reading. I'm judging you, but alright. Do you watch movies? Because you can get DVDs there too. Are you an e-reader? Chances are you can get free e-books too.

The Library: Not just for homeless people and families with small children. (You're welcome, American Library Association, for that new slogan.)


No comments:

Post a Comment